Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

Recap of My Final Week


The hardest part about moving across the country isn't the hassle of packing up your entire life.  It isn't putting your precious belongings into the hands of an unknown shipper and hoping he gets everything to the final destination the way he received them.   It’s not even the fact that I’ll be moving into an apartment that I've only seen pictures of online.  As stressful as that may be, those are inconveniences that over time will be the hilarious stories I’ll share with family and friends.  
 
The hardest part about moving across the country isn't starting over from scratch and worrying that you've made the biggest mistake of your life.  Wondering how you’ll face failure if it comes knocking at your door to point its finger in your face and taunt you with the ‘I told you so’.  No, I can deal with that too because after all failure nothing more than a very steep step and a high jump closer to success.   Everyone’s been there or will experience it at some point in their life.  It may take you a few attempts but your appreciation for the view on the other side is well worth the stumbles and falls. 

For me, the hardest part about moving across the country will be the distance it puts between me and my family and friends.   No more popping up on my mother to see how she is doing.  No random weekday lunches with my aunt.  No  more last minute plans with the BFF or checking out a movie with my sister and cousin on a Sunday morning.  No, things won’t be the same.  Connecting will require a bit more coordination and planning and I’m willing to do that.  We’ll text, call, Skype, and FaceTime until we are face-to-face again and able to share a hug and another meal together.

During my last week, between packing, miscellaneous errands, more packing,  an airline mandated vet visit and a much needed hair appointment,  I will spent time with family and friends.  While I may not get to see everyone before I fly out, it doesn't change how I feel about them.  I am truly thankful for the support my family and friends have shown, even ifthey didn't agree with or understand my decision to move.

Yes, it is sad and scary leaving everything that you know behind but change isn't all bad.  There is the excitement of discovering the unknown, the wide eyed wonder that comes with exploring a new city, region and coast.  The opportunity to start over fresh in a new space and the chance to redecorate (mid-century modern is my look this go around).   

Deep down I know this is what I’m meant to do at this stage of my life.  I don’t know how things will turn out but I’m excited for the journey ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment